Frequently Asked Questions


Can I apply to more than one institution?

Yes, you can.

How many institutions can I apply to?

A maximum of three.

 If I apply to more than one institution, must I submit more than one motivation letter?

Yes. Treat each application as what it is – its own application. Applying to multiple study abroad destinations will necessitate multiple applications and therefore multiple motivation letters.

Why do I still pay tuition while studying abroad?

It is standard protocol that the home institution receives tuition and that the receiving institution waives tuition in an exchange partnership.

Can I study abroad in my country of origin?

No. We believe that a semester abroad should entail new cultural experiences and these are hardly found in a semester abroad back home.

Why must I have a (Jacobs) GPA of 2.0 or better in order to study abroad?

Many of our partner universities have certain entry requirements which we must respect. Moreover, a change in educational system, language, culture, and setting requires a good academic standing in order to spend a successful semester abroad.

 Do I need to apply for Erasmus funding separately?

No. You can indicate the amount you would like to receive from us, and we decide which funding scheme to use.

Where can I find a full list of exchange institutions?

By following this link.

Am I allowed to begin and/or complete my Bachelor thesis during my study abroad semester?

No. The Bachelor Thesis (10 ECTS) can only be registered earliest in the 6th semester at Jacobs University and must be conducted under the supervision of a Jacobs University faculty member. While studying abroad, students can take the course “Project” on top of their 20-ECTS teaching load, if an equivalent course exists at the partner institution, and the results of this course can be embedded, where thematically possible, in the subsequent thesis. Note that the project and bachelor thesis courses are both part of the Project/Thesis Career Module (15 ECTS).

Can I bring more than 20 ECTS from my study abroad semester?

Yes, students may bring more than 20 ECTS from their study abroad. Not all credits have to be counted towards the degree, however. They can be counted, for example, towards the Specialization Area Module (10 ECTS, World Track) or towards the Triangle Module (15 ECTS). The academic plan, workload, and credit transfer are pre-approved via the existing Credit Transfer workflow.